[Gendergap] Fwd: Gender preference

Daniel and Elizabeth Case dancase at frontiernet.net
Fri Feb 11 23:21:31 UTC 2011

> The more
> useful question is, what part of the great bulk of Wikipedians who
> don't self-identify by gender are female?

I second this.

I'd be willing to bet from anecdotal evidence and experience that the
greater portion of editors who don't indicate a gender in preferences (I'm
one, actually, as it turns out) are female. Women are more likely to have
unpublished or unlisted phone numbers, and when they are listed, I know
quite a few who use initial pairs rather than a first name.

On Wikipedia, I have also known more female editors than male who have put
in username-change requests, specifically from a real or partially real name
to something less gender-specific.

Daniel Case