[Gendergap] Thinking about Solutions

Oliver Keyes scire.facias at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 21:43:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Brandon Harris <bharris at wikimedia.org>wrote:

>        My current thinking is to not include a "down vote" system but
> rather
> add in a "flagging" system.  Flagging something would be less obvious
> and would not be "gameable" - especially if a posting could be marked
> "patrolled" or otherwise considered acceptable and immune to flagging.
>
>        To be sure, this is very shaky ground and requires a great deal of
> thought.  It may come to pass that this is just another ghost of an
> idea, consigned to a graveyard.  But I think it's worth talking about.
>
> The problem with a "flagging" system is it'll inevitably turn into another
backlog. More e-trees have been cut down on discussion pages than on article
pages, and the article backlogs are all substantial. If such a system is set
up, with exceptions for some editors, we inevitably create a divide in the
community - between those who are trusted by default and those who are not
trusted at all.

If, for example, an autopatrolled thing was set up for all administrators,
it would be making the statement that all administrators Can Do No Wrong
when discussing this, and that the trust in the administrators' competence
extends not just to deletions, moves and the like, but also to on-wiki
interaction, which is not necessarily the case.