[Gendergap] Hardcoded discrimination

Daniel and Elizabeth Case dancase at frontiernet.net
Sat Feb 5 20:36:47 UTC 2011

  >Well, particulary, I have no problem with the male "Usuário" (in portuguese). And >sincerely, I don't think the fact of see a male word will push me out Wikippedia. We >are quite used to use a male word in portuguese when we don't know the gender of >someone, but yes, would be nice to see a "Usuária" in my page :D

  There is an option to indicate your gender under preferences. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be possible to code things so that a user checking "female" would get a feminine-form word (where applicable ... is "Utilisateuse", say, a practical or common form of the word in French?) preceding the name, but without creating a separate namespace.

  Daniel Case