[Gendergap] Introducing ourselves :-)

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Tue Feb 1 04:34:37 UTC 2011

I'm Fred Bauder and have edited the English Wikipedia for many years. I'm
interested in any change we can make in policy or culture which would
facilitate editing by women (and anyone else).

I have a few ideas, one of which I will share here. When I read an
authoritative work, or have good information from a reliable source, I
add that to Wikipedia. Rather than the other way around, putting in
information then looking for a source. Things seem to go very smooth when
I work from a reference to added information rather than adding
information then looking for a source.

My thought is that simple tricks like that make editing much easier,
enjoyable, and conflict free. Sharing that information with new editors
seems to be a way to facilitate editing. I guess what I'm saying is that
a little simple information about getting started might be helpful.

Fred Bauder