[Gendergap] Introducing ourselves :-)

Sarah Stierch sarah at sarahstierch.com
Tue Feb 1 03:34:45 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

Great words Sue. The New York Times article really rippled throughout
the web, and I know many of us (male or female Wikipedians) hoped to see
some things take place because of it. I have always followed the gender
gap issues with Wikipedia since my involvement, and always been aware of
my minority status, so it's great to see this getting more press than a
menial case study every year.

I'm Sarah Stierch, a Wikipedian since 2006 (by way of Username:Missvain)
and one of the project leaders of Wikipedia:Public Art (once known as
Wikipedia Saves Public Art). I am lucky to be involved in a creative
project that is headed by myself, Jennifer Geigel-Mikulay and Lori
Byrd-Phillips, two inspiring women who have done nothing but support my
efforts, struggles and successes. We do have one boy in the mix -
Richard McCoy. Both Richard and Jennifer serve as advisers for Lori and
myself, in career and educational matters. We're really lucky!

I have always been involved in arenas that are rather gender bias. I've
been a DJ for over 10 years, played drums and sang in bands, booked rock
concerts, sold fine art, and always considered myself a tomboy. I've
been dealing with gender conflicts and attempting to fight the idea of
being even lumped into one or the other for many years. I don't intend
on going into some crazed feminist rant - but, I have my own opinions
and feel passionate about getting more involved in sharing information
and culture - and if more women would like to participate, that would be
grand.

I'm specifically interested in bringing elder women (our moms, grandmas,
teachers, professors, etc) and our younger women (sisters, daughters,
students) into Wikipedia.

Most of my work revolves around public art in Wikipedia. I have a desire
to promote reclamation and ownership of public art by "the people."

I live in Washington, D.C.  I am obtaining my Masters in Museum Studies
(A very female dominated educational community, and a world that seems
to move like molasses in regards to Wikipedia) at George Washington
University. I obtained my undergrad from Indiana University-Purdue
University Indianapolis in Native American studies and a minor in Museum
Studies.

I recently gave a very chaotic talk about WIkipedia: Public Art at
WikiXDC at the National Archives. I write an article in a popular online
local newspaper called "The Peoples Art" about the public art I write
about in DC on Wikipedia.  Overall, my thesis work will revolve
hopefully around public art ownership via Wikipedia.

Alright, I've babbled enough. It's an honor to be apart of this, and I
really look forward to seeing what our revolution will bring about.

Sarah
(Who's already brainstorming ideas for the Women in Wikipedia Cocktail
Hour in Haifa!!!)

--
Sarah Stierch Consulting
Historical, cultural & artistic research, advising & event planning.