[Foundation-l] Board Resolutions from March 30th 2012

Stuart West stu at wikimedia.org
Sat Mar 31 06:03:13 UTC 2012

My personal view on this John is that abstaining is appropriate in a couple cases:

- you truly don't have an opinion and trust those who do have opinions to make the decision.  in that case it's really a decision to support the majority view of the others who are voting.

- you don't particularly like a decision but don't hate it enough to vote no.  again, this ends up being a decision to support the majority view of others.

In the end I think it comes down to personal choice.  Some people see the world as more black and white and are comfortable with a simple yes or no (i tend to be in this camp).  Others feel a yes/no vote can lack nuance and respect for the gray areas in between and prefer not to unnaturally push themselves to one extreme or the other.

One note.  I do view a recusal as something completely different.  You should recuse yourself if you have  some kind of personal conflict of interest with a decision.  That's different than an abstention.