[Foundation-l] Board Resolutions from March 30th 2012

Michael Peel michael.peel at wikimedia.org.uk
Fri Mar 30 22:33:44 UTC 2012

On 30 Mar 2012, at 23:17, Nathan wrote:

> Since payment processing is not contemplated as a vector for receiving
> funds, either in 2012 or beyond,

[citation needed]. Also, [attribution needed]. There are those that are contemplating this, and those that aren't - it's not as clear cut as you imply.

> it makes sense to permit processing only
> where it provides a significant advantage in raising funds and where the
> reliability and integrity of funds processing is not in doubt.

I can't disagree there. But there should be clear routes to ensuring that reliability and integrity, and to foster it where it is currently being developed. Those routes are currently rather conspicuous by their complete absence, and by the lack of WMF interest in fostering these. I hope that the chapters council can play a big role here, but worry that it will be handicapped by this decision by the WMF.

> As the
> resolution states, all entities are permitted (and, I'm sure, encouraged)
> to raise funds in other ways.

So ... entities are trusted to receive donations by one method, but not another? That makes no sense whatsoever to me. Either they're trusted to handle funds and resources donated to the Wikimedia movement, or they're not.

I'm probably ranting against a fait accompli here. But I'm deeply saddened and depressed by this outcome.

Thanks,
Mike
(Personal viewpoint)