[Foundation-l] User talk templates

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Fri Mar 23 04:45:31 UTC 2012

On 3/22/2012 9:00 PM, Steven Walling wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2012 8:46 PM, "Cynthia Ashley-Nelson"<cindamuse at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> In Twinkle, we can add a custom Welcome message. Is it possible to create a
>> customized Welcome template that allows the user to insert a personalized
>> message to the Twinkle interface? Or even make changes to the existing
>> templates that allows users to insert a personal message prior to placing
>> on the user's talk page?
> Yes, this not difficult at all to add to Twinkle, and if the maintainers of
> the gadget are willing I think this should be one of the experiments we
> try. The idea of prompting normal handwritten comments as part of the
> interface was also suggested in the feedback from our recent test of PROD
> and AfD templates in Twinkle.
Wow, handwritten? I didn't know MediaWiki was going to skip straight
past WYSIWYG to OCR. Is it time to start weeding out editors with bad
penmanship?

More seriously, while a wiki may not be a social network for its own
sake, I do think it's worth emphasizing that collaboration depends on
some sort of human connection. Bots can be great tools to facilitate
work, but they do nothing to facilitate connections.

--Michael Snow