[Foundation-l] Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Stopping the presses:, , Britannica to stop printing books

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 21 21:57:57 UTC 2012

> But what to call it? Wikipedia2 doesn't have much flavor.
> WikipediaLocalized? WikiDetails? WikipediaExpanded? WikipediaSuppliment?
>
> On 3/20/2012 5:24 PM, foundation-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org wrote:
> > From: David Goodman<dggenwp at gmail.com>
> > What I suggest is a '''Wikipedia Two''  - an encyclopedia supplement
> > where the standard of notability  is much relaxed, but which will be
> > different from Wikia by still requiring  Verifiability and NPOV. It
> > would include the lower levels of barely  notable articles in
> > Wikipedia, and  a good deal of what we do not let in.

> > But it would be interesting to see the results of a search option:
> > Do you want to see everything (WP+WP2), or only the really notable (WP)?
> > Anyone care to guess which people would choose?

Ha! I'd choose Wikipedia2 anyday! ;-) (my favorite articles keep getting
deleted from wikipedia. How's that useful to anyone?)

Notability was originally a stopgap for verifiability IIRC. It's gone off
the rails imo.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:40:20AM -0700, Robin McCain wrote:
> This is an excellent idea - a kind of searchable sandbox where articles
> could eventually be promoted into the main site or simply used as in
> depth backing for a Wikipedia One article.

I'm thinking wikipedia needs a reboot anyway. We'll probably end up
with a replay of wikipedia/nupedia if we reboot a wp2 with tidied up and
streamlined "policy" (redesign as a pattern language), integrated
Prod/AFD, deprecated arbcom in favor of DRN, and most importantly:
ensuring new users all get mentors.

Acculturation failure has severely harmed WP1, we need some way to
bring experienced and inexperienced users together reliably. This is
the simplest and best way to retain editors. :-)

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning