[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Stopping the presses:, , Britannica to stop printing books

Robin McCain robin at slmr.com
Thu Mar 15 15:23:39 UTC 2012

On 3/15/2012 3:10 AM, foundation-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org wrote:
> Local events in western countries are pretty easy to cover within
> wikipedia's rules. A mix of local news and the local history mob
> usually sees that there are plenty of sources.
>
> On the other hand writing about Odek (Joseph Kony's home village) is
> pretty much impossible.
In that specific case you'd need a team of archeologists and war crimes
investigators to collect raw data and analyze it.

How much of this general lack of published information is due to local
government policies (past or present) or destruction of records and how
much is related to a recent conversion from oral history to written
documents?

The willful suppression or destruction of historical records is one
thing, lack of recordkeeping another.

It is pretty obvious that recording of history must start somewhere.
Even though that recording might not meet the WP standards for 2nd or
3rd layer analysis of 1st layer eyewitness accounts it still has value.

Is there a WMF project to get this process of historical bootstrapping
started in such locations? If not, perhaps we need to tie into another
organization that is already working on this...