[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Stopping the presses: Britannica to stop printing books

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 10:04:34 UTC 2012

> did you use print encyclopedias as a kid?

Oh yes. I especially loved #6 of Lithuanian Soviet Encyclopedia http://lt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaizdas:Lietuviskoji_tarybine_enciklopedija_resize.jpg - L* had airplanes and M* had automobiles ;)
B* had whales (hence my obsession with Exploding Whale article nowadays ;-) Scanning the volumes and looking for interesting articles was sure one of activities :)

I had a dream of buying a Britannica set once I have my own home.
Unfortunately, getting my new home somehow also aligned with me finding Wikipedia, and on a very first glance I knew I had to work on this thing, in one way or another.

And indeed, any other book back in the day that would satisfy the curiosity was eagerly consumed, but nowadays online world gives us way more opportunities.
Paper encyclopedias were the easiest to reach back in the day (Wikipedia is easiest to reach online source now, right? :)

Cheers,
Domas