[Foundation-l] Image filter

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 13 00:23:39 UTC 2012

Am 12.03.2012 23:14, schrieb Andrew Gray:
> On 11 March 2012 00:23, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 10 March 2012 22:15, Andrew Gray<andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk>  wrote:
>>
>>> The image filter may not be a good solution, but too much of the
>>> response involves saying "we're fine, we're neutral, we don't need to
>>> do anything" and leaving it there; this isn't the case, and we do need
>>> to think seriously about these issues without yelling "censorship!"
>>> any time someone tries to discuss the problem.
>> There are theoretical objections, and then there are the actual objectors:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Gay_pornography
>>
>> The objector here earnestly and repeatedly compares the words "gay
>> pornographic" in *text* on the page to images of child pornography.
> Well, yes, and everyone else involved in that discussion is (at some
> length) telling them they're wrong.
>
> There are *other* actual objections, and ones with some sense behind
> them; the unexpected Commons search results discussed ad nauseam, for
> example. I don't think one quixotic and mistaken complaint somehow
> nullifies any other objection people can make about entirely different
> material...

At the same time we have a huge amount of search terms that give the
expected results, while we only see the examples where it goes wrong. I
remember that Andreas picked "drawing style" as an example.[1] Was this
just an coincidence? No it wasn't. He actually knew about an image that
I uploaded some time ago, he attacked it later on and now used it's file
description to construct an example.[2] That's how this examples are
created.

Additionally I proposed a solution for the search a while ago, that
would avoid any problems from both sides entirely.[3] If we, the board
or the foundation would put some heart into it, then we would have one
less problem, even so I don't see it as problem as it currently is. But
i would also benefit from this kind of improved search. (no tagging, no
rating, no extra work for users, still better)

[1]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Controversial_content/Brainstorming#Buttons_to_switch_images_off_and_on
[2]
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:On_the_edge_-_free_world_version.jpg