[Foundation-l] Image filter

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Mon Mar 12 22:14:11 UTC 2012

On 11 March 2012 00:23, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 March 2012 22:15, Andrew Gray <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> The image filter may not be a good solution, but too much of the
>> response involves saying "we're fine, we're neutral, we don't need to
>> do anything" and leaving it there; this isn't the case, and we do need
>> to think seriously about these issues without yelling "censorship!"
>> any time someone tries to discuss the problem.
>
> There are theoretical objections, and then there are the actual objectors:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Gay_pornography
>
> The objector here earnestly and repeatedly compares the words "gay
> pornographic" in *text* on the page to images of child pornography.

Well, yes, and everyone else involved in that discussion is (at some
length) telling them they're wrong.

There are *other* actual objections, and ones with some sense behind
them; the unexpected Commons search results discussed ad nauseam, for
example. I don't think one quixotic and mistaken complaint somehow
nullifies any other objection people can make about entirely different
material...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk