[Foundation-l] Why is Arbcom is actively promoting Wikipedia Review?

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sun Mar 11 13:40:44 UTC 2012

> Can anyone explain why Arbcom members are not required to refrain from
> posting and responding to requests on Wikipedia Review while they are on
> Arbcom? It seems a basic conflict of interest to be actively promoting
> the
> opinions and drawing unnecessary attention to attack posts against
> Wikipedia contributers by banned users.
>
> I see at least two current Arbcom members posting there quite recently
> and
> even responding to requests of banned users to do things on their behalf
> on
> Wikipedia (such as John Vandenberg working for Edward Buckner).
>
> One might argue that Arbcom members have a right to free speech, however
> this seems to cross the boundaries into undermining the fundamental
> principles and the values of the Wikimedia Foundation.
>
> Bob

I haven't been there for a few years, but when I was an active arbitrator
I read some of WR and posted a little bit. Occasionally, besides the
slime, there are people posting there who have legitimate complaints, or
are, at least, owed an explanation. Also, occasionally, news about a
crisis of some sort that affects Wikipedia breaks there. Bottom line,
this a long standing practice.

Fred