[Foundation-l] Wikimedia domains, SOPA, Godaddy and MarkMonitor

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 21:24:48 UTC 2012

Michael Peel, 10/03/2012 21:54:
> I'm all in favour of moving the Wikimedia domain names from GoDaddy to MarkMonitor (and, tbh, I'm rather puzzled by why the WMF decided to use GoDaddy in the first place), I'm just rather puzzled by your statements here.

The official blog post says that «the Foundation was already utilizing
MarkMonitor’s brand protection services».[1]
It's nice that we've recovered some domains which were confusing users,
and I hope we'll get more, I like the WIPO cases which were positive or
the WMF; but I'm confident that brand protection can continue to be
pursued in a balanced way, without joining the traditional
copyright/"intellectual property" police.

Nemo

[1]
<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/03/09/transfer-of-wikipedia-sites-from-godaddy-complete/>