[Foundation-l] Wikimedia domains, SOPA, Godaddy and MarkMonitor

Michael Peel michael.peel at wikimedia.org.uk
Sat Mar 10 20:54:59 UTC 2012

Hi Domas,

I'd like to see more information here. What activities are MarkMonitor involved in with the 'anti-piracy fight'? Are they involved in filtering all peer-to-peer traffic, or just the traffic that contravenes copyright law? As a domain name supplier, what is their relation to ISPs, and how do they practically provide this filtering? What evidence do they supply to copyright holders - I assume that this evidence is related to who has registered which domain, since (as domain name providers) they shouldn't be in a position to provide any other (non-public) information here? How do they monitor titles?

I'm asking this out of genuine interest. My understanding of domain name providers in general is that they provide a service that simply says "this domain name points to the server at this IP address", rather than them having any role in filtering, providing evidence, or monitoring.  I'm rather surprised to hear that their activities go beyond this.

I'm all in favour of moving the Wikimedia domain names from GoDaddy to MarkMonitor (and, tbh, I'm rather puzzled by why the WMF decided to use GoDaddy in the first place), I'm just rather puzzled by your statements here.

Thanks,
Mike
(NB: please note that although I'm subscribed to this list under my @wikimedia.org.uk address for the purposes of organising my incoming emails, I'm asking these questions on a personal basis.)