[Foundation-l] Image filter

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 9 15:01:56 UTC 2012

Am 09.03.2012 15:50, schrieb Thomas Morton:
> On 9 March 2012 14:47, Tobias Oelgarte<tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com>wrote:
>
>> Am 09.03.2012 15:34, schrieb Gerard Meijssen:
>>
>>   The question you have to ask yourself, where is the value in Commons when
>>> we do not optimise it as much as possible so that it will be the
>>> repository
>>> of choice of freely licensed imagery.
>>> Thanks,
>>>       GerardM
>>>
>> That's right. But why did the current approaches only had one goal - the
>> exclusion/hiding of controversial media - in mind?
>>

> Partly because it is the low hanging fruit (i.e. the thing that will have
> the most impact in forwarding our goals of accessible knowledge).
In other words, it was the first topic that came to mind (Fox+Larry),
followed by the first approach that they could think of. Like a child
that did something bad and tries to hide it in the hope that the parents
would not find out.
> Partly because of the old adage that things that people complain about the
> most are those that get noticed.
Perfectly right. But this behaviour has nothing to do with tackling the
problem or to grab it at the root.
> It is unfortunate that the board chose to cast the initiative in this
> light; because I can entirely see why some factions would find it
> unpalatable (as presented).
It's not only the presentation. It is the actual way of thought how to
handle problems or to look at things that might be a problem.

nya~