[Foundation-l] Controversial content software status

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 8 11:23:20 UTC 2012

On 8 March 2012 11:01, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> On 03/07/12 3:29 PM, Thomas Morton wrote:
>
>> On 7 Mar 2012, at 23:16, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> We're beyond mainstream and are now infrastructure. We're part of the
>>> assumed background. Academia and museums come to us now. While I'm
>>> sure someone can then say "and therefore we must filter", that's
>>> asserting the claim for the *opposite* reason Andreas gives, i.e.
>>> insufficient fame.
>>>
>> We're a mainstream resource, with links to academia. Whilst it is
>> tempting to view the movement as radical and fundamental we are
>> majority ruled, and the majority is mainstream.
>>

> What follows from this is the need for mechanisms that avoid the tyranny
> of the majority.

Hmm, so the argument here is to enforce the view of a minority on a
majority?

As I pointed out last time; if anything, that is a worse goal...

Providing global access is a far far cry from enforcing a viewpoint (thank
goodness), which is what a lot of people seem to be advocating here.

>  We are progressive, but that is another matter.
>>
>> All of which is irrelevant in considering the desire of the reader.
>>

> Which reader?

The users of the website.

You know; our main focus! :)

> Does our hypothetical reader not have any responsibility in the way he
> interprets what he reads or says?

Yes. Which is my point entirely.

Tom