[Foundation-l] Controversial content software status

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Tue Mar 6 01:01:04 UTC 2012

David Gerard wrote:
> However, you are convinced that filtering is the key to far greater
> usefulness to, and acceptance by, the public.
>
> This suggests that what you should do is start a fork, filtered
> according to your vision.
>
> If you are correct that this is what the public really wants, your
> project will be a huge success. You could be the next Jimmy Wales!

An appeal to "then why don't you fork!" is pretty lame, David.

Much as people hate censorship and love free content, if you've looked at
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Controversial_content/Problems>, you know
there's an actual technical issue here. I refuse to believe that a search
for "forefinger" leading to animated GIFs of someone masturbating is a not a
bug. Search needs improvements. Commons needs improvements. This is hardly
surprising or controversial. And, I'll note: there have been proposals to
address the technical issue at "Controversial content/Brainstorming" and
elsewhere. Including a neat idea involving groupings and hierarchical
tagging for media.

Please, let's not resort to "why don't you fork!" when there aren't even
dumps of the images on Commons, much less one of the other 1,000 issues
you'd hit when trying to fork a Wikimedia wiki. Be reasonable, please.

MZMcBride