[Foundation-l] Controversial content software status

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 00:58:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 March 2012 18:21, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There are people in this movement who are happy with this status quo, and
>> who say they will fork if anything changes.
>> Let them.
>

> You have that backwards. You are demanding the board enact something
> precisely because the overwhelming majority of the people who *do the
> actual work* won't put up with it.
>
> However, you are convinced that filtering is the key to far greater
> usefulness to, and acceptance by, the public.
>
> This suggests that what you should do is start a fork, filtered
> according to your vision.
>
> If you are correct that this is what the public really wants, your
> project will be a huge success. You could be the next Jimmy Wales!

As I understand it, Andreas is pushing for better editorial control
and search rather than censorship or a fork.  The issues Andreas has
highlighted are real; how to fix them is the open question.  Renaming
files is a _good_ immediate solution for some of the search problems.
Andreas has also raised the option of clustered search, proposed by
Niabot, and other ideas the community are coming up with as
alternatives.

--
John Vandenberg