[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation Mid-Year Presentation to the Board, esp. Visual Editor

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Mon Mar 5 03:01:13 UTC 2012

Hi Pine,

I made that part of the deck and yes, you're interpreting it correctly. I
put green checkmarks to indicate where something was (more-or-less) on
track, where progress was about where it was supposed to be midway through
the year. That's the basis on which the Visual Editor got a green check.

I did consider using an orange marker of some kind, but there was no
obvious symbol to indicate "on track" or "half done, as expected halfway
through the year." So I just used a green check, to mark those activities
as more-or-less fine. The point of those slides was really to emphasize
where we are *not* on track, which is of course number-of-active-editors.
We had hoped by this point that we would have arrested the slide and
starting bringing the numbers up, but that has not happened. That's the
message those slides are intended to convey.

I would also say: that deck was used in a three-hour verbal presentation to
the Board. Verbally, in person, we were able to convey more nuance and
detail than is in the deck, and I would say the deck doesn't stand alone
particularly well. We wanted to publish it anyway, because there is quite a
bit of useful information in it. But it's not designed so much as a
standalone report: it was really used as the backdrop for a presentation,
in order to kick off a conversation about next year's plan.

Thanks,
Sue