[Foundation-l] Making Wikimedia Commons into a central repository of creative commons content

James Heilman jmh649 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 13:11:40 UTC 2012

Wikimedia Commons has the potential to become a central repository of
creative commons content. There are a large number of other sites running
Mediawiki software to partner with. If we could either host their images or
allow users of other sites to simultaneously upload to both Commons and the
other wiki in question we could increase the rate we are expanding out
image content and hopefully bring more people into the movement

One idea a number of organizations I have spoken with have agreed to in
principle is them altering their websites to allow simultaneous uploading
to both Wikimedia Commons and their own site. All these Wikis need is the
software which would allow their users to do this. Some host both NC and
non NC content. The upload tool could thus give people the option to
simultaneously upload to commons if people are willing to release under our
license.

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian