[Foundation-l] Blog from Sue about censorship, editorial judgement, and image filters

Achal Prabhala aprabhala at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 18:34:59 UTC 2011

On Friday 30 September 2011 11:47 PM, Theo10011 wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Achal Prabhala<aprabhala at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Friday 30 September 2011 11:19 PM, Theo10011 wrote:
>>> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Achal Prabhala<aprabhala at gmail.com
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> How about an encyclopedia? Anywhere?
>>>
>>> Are you suggesting a rating system for an encyclopedia?
>> No.
>>
>> I'm suggesting that:
>>
>> Ratings are different from censorship.
>>
> Actually, it's a matter of perspective if you consider that. If you read the
> history Censorship in United States, it has an entire section about Film
> censorship[1], also of relevance might be the MPAA crticism section [2] or
> Tipper gore led Parent's Music resource center [3]. My question was, has
> there been an instance of an encyclopedia being censored or even rated?
>

>> Sometimes, ratings can be used to create censorship.
>>
>> Often, ratings do just that - rate.
>>
> They actually restrict access, those ratings limit who can see a certain
> movie, depending upon the classification. Again, it is a matter of
> perspective.

No. It's a matter of fact. Ratings can sometimes lead to censorship,
often don't, and definitely do not have to. For film. And the same logic
can apply here on Wikipedia or with any other kind of media. Wikipedia
already has extensive internal and external quality ratings; this does
not mean that stubs are being censored.