[Foundation-l] Blog from Sue about censorship, editorial judgement, and image filters

Theo10011 de10011 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 18:17:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Achal Prabhala <aprabhala at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Friday 30 September 2011 11:19 PM, Theo10011 wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Achal Prabhala<aprabhala at gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> > How about an encyclopedia? Anywhere?
> >
> > Are you suggesting a rating system for an encyclopedia?
>
> No.
>
> I'm suggesting that:
>
> Ratings are different from censorship.

Actually, it's a matter of perspective if you consider that. If you read the
history Censorship in United States, it has an entire section about Film
censorship[1], also of relevance might be the MPAA crticism section [2] or
Tipper gore led Parent's Music resource center [3]. My question was, has
there been an instance of an encyclopedia being censored or even rated?

> Sometimes, ratings can be used to create censorship.
>
> Often, ratings do just that - rate.

They actually restrict access, those ratings limit who can see a certain
movie, depending upon the classification. Again, it is a matter of
perspective.

> For film.
>
> In several countries around the world, including India, and Germany.

Theo

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_the_United_States#Film_censorship
[2]