[Foundation-l] Blog from Sue about censorship, editorial judgement, and image filters

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 18:15:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 19:59, Sue Gardner <sgardner at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I just want to point out quickly that I am not American, and my
> position on all these issues is actually a very Canadian one. Ray and
> Risker and other Canadians will recognize this.
>
> Canada doesn't really feel itself to have a fixed national identity.
> We makes jokes about the fact that that IS our identity -- that we are
> continually renegotiating and stretching the boundaries of what it
> means to be Canadian. We believe our culture is the aggregation and
> accumulation of all the views and experiences and attitudes of our
> citizenry. Each wave of immigration --the French and the British, the
> Chinese, the Italians, the Indians, the Jamaicans, and so forth-- has
> influenced what Canada is, and how it understands itself.
>
> That's what I'm used to, as a Canadian -- it's normal for me to listen
> to minorities and find ways to incorporate their perspectives into
> mine.

Most importantly, you are a manger :P

There is a line between protecting autonomy of particular community
and protecting the whole:
* When community around Arabic Wikipedia doesn't want to show Muhammad
depictions, that's their right.
* When community around Aceh Wikipedia wants to delete all Muhammad
depictions from Commons, that's not their right.
* When a person wants to remove whichever images from his or her
Wikipedia interface, that's his or her right.
* When implementation of that feature affects everybody, that's not
his or her right.

Without solutions like "safe.en.wikipedia.org", I confess that I don't
know how that should be solved. However, as successful manager, I am
sure that you'll find a solution.