[Foundation-l] Blog from Sue about censorship, editorial judgement, and image filters

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 30 17:59:40 UTC 2011

On 30 September 2011 09:15, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 16:24, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Milos, I believe this is exactly the kind of post that Sue was talking about
>> in her blog. It is aggressive, it is alienating, and it is intimidating to
>> others who may have useful and progressive ideas but are repeatedly seeing
>> the opinions of others dismissed because they're women/not women or from the
>> US/not from the US. The implication of your post is "if you're a woman from
>> the US, your opinion is invalid.

I just want to point out quickly that I am not American, and my
position on all these issues is actually a very Canadian one. Ray and
Risker and other Canadians will recognize this.

Canada doesn't really feel itself to have a fixed national identity.
We makes jokes about the fact that that IS our identity -- that we are
continually renegotiating and stretching the boundaries of what it
means to be Canadian. We believe our culture is the aggregation and
accumulation of all the views and experiences and attitudes of our
citizenry. Each wave of immigration --the French and the British, the
Chinese, the Italians, the Indians, the Jamaicans, and so forth-- has
influenced what Canada is, and how it understands itself.

That's what I'm used to, as a Canadian -- it's normal for me to listen
to minorities and find ways to incorporate their perspectives into
mine.

Thanks,
Sue

--
Sue Gardner
Executive Director

415 839 6885 office
415 816 9967 cell

the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!