[Foundation-l] Blog from Sue about censorship, editorial judgement, and image filters

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 16:42:35 UTC 2011

I do think that one needs to have spent some time in Germany to understand that
things *are* different there. Nudity is no big deal. To give some examples, municipal
swimming pools may have times set aside for nude bathing. They may have mixed saunas,
or changing rooms used by females, males, and children at the same time. Male and
female full frontal nudity occurs on the covers of mainstream publications. No one bats an
eyelid.

At the same time, Germany has some of the most stringent online youth protection laws
when it comes to pornography, rather than nudity. Pornographic content on the internet is
legal only if technical measures prohibit minors from getting access to the object (AVS =
Age Verification System or Adult-Check-System).

That's typically a credit card-based system. A similar system is used e.g. to prevent minors'
access to cigarette vending machines. (The reason this doesn't apply to us is that our
servers are in the US, outside German jurisdiction.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Wikipedia_Signpost/2011-09-26/Opinion_essay#German_paradox:_some_of_the_most_stringent_youth_protection_laws_in_the_world.2C_combined_with_cultural_openness_to_nudity

So I never saw the vulva appearance on the de:WP main page as a significant problem,
when seen in the German cultural context. German kids look at images like that in school.

Andreas