[Foundation-l] Three short films about Wikipedia

Lennart Guldbrandsson wikihannibal at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 07:26:38 UTC 2011

@Kim: Subtitles might be a good way to go. I'll see about putting up the
full screenplays, once I've translated them into English.

@Phil: Well', we do have some translations (6 at the moment) at
http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bookshelf/Three_Wikipedia_films. We could
do the full subtitle translations there as well.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Best wishes,

Lennart

2011/9/29 Phil Nash <phnash at blueyonder.co.uk>

> Kim Bruning wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 02:02:20PM +0200, Lennart Guldbrandsson wrote:
> >> Okay. I hope that I didn't stifle your comment, though. One idea:
> >>
> >> Feel free to dub in your own voices if you want voices. That could
> >> be very cool!
> >>
> >> Best wishes,
> >>
> >> Lennart
> >
> > Actually, if this is going to be shown at conferences and such,
> > it might be handier to add subtitles? :-)
> >
> > sincerely,
> > Kim Bruning
>
> Seriously, dubbing dialogue, although *kewl*, would be a triumph of hope
> over experience, and technically and practically infeasible within a
> sensible timescale, but when it comes to subtitles, the question has to be
> "in how many languages?" A good starting point is
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_languages, which has
>
> Arabic
> Chinese (Mandarin)
> English
> French
> Russian
> Spanish (Castilian)
>
> as core, but
>
> Bengali
> Hindustani
> Portuguese
> Esperanto
>
> as proposed.
>
> Of these, I would regard languages of the Indian subcontinent as being of
> higher priority, since (IME) speakers of Spanish can get to grips wth
> Portuguese at least at a basic level, and Esperanto does not seem to have
> had the penetration it might deserve.
>
> What is perhaps surprising is that Japanese is missing from both these
> lists, but then perhaps most Japanese are also pretty competent in English
> these days.

Lennart Guldbrandsson
Wikimedia Sverige