[Foundation-l] Dead Sea Scrolls

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Sep 28 11:44:11 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.rs> wrote:
> The photograph does not constitute an origin or beginning.

Sure it does.  Is there any such thing as an "original photograph"?

> The photograph is secondary, derivative and imitative.

Yes.

> The photograph is not the first instance.

The original photograph is the first instance of the photograph.  This
definition doesn't mean "the first instance of anything".  If that
were true then *nothing* would be original.

I'd say by this definition in particular it is quite clear that there
was an original photograph.  A photo of an object is the first
instance of a new thing, it is not a copy of the object itself.

> The photograph is not independent or creative.

Someone most likely selected the F-stop, the shutter speed, and the
lighting.  I doubt they just pointed the camera on auto and used the
built in flash.  Someone most likely selected how to convert the raw
image into a jpeg or png or whatever they're using.  They may have
even done some significant post-processing.  Someone definitely
selected which camera to use, how many separate photographs to tile
together, etc.