[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter

David Levy lifeisunfair at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 22:51:35 UTC 2011

Milos Rancic wrote:

> Note that more than 50% of money comes from US and that it could be
> easily assumed that at least 10% of ~$10M given by US citizens and
> corporations want to have a kind of "family friendly" Wikipedia. Thus,
> $1M/year is fair price for creating something which would please them.

Assuming that the "10%" figure is accurate, it has no bearing on the
feature's relative importance.

The same people/corporations might care more about numerous other
potential uses of the money (including different unimplemented
features), so your mathematical equation is invalid.

And I reject the premise that it's reasonable to base fund allocations
on popular opinion, with donors' views carrying extra (all?) weight.
Our mission is to disseminate information to the world, not to
"please" donors by catering to their preferences.

David Levy