[Foundation-l] Image filter

David Levy lifeisunfair at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 18:42:15 UTC 2011

Marcus Buck wrote:

> The majority of people probably think that an optional opt-in filter is
> a thing that does no harm to non-users and has advantages for those who
> choose to use it. (Ask your gramma whether "You can hide pictures if you
> don't want to see them" sounds like a threatening thing to her.)

In attempting to explain Wikipedia's neutrality to my father, I
mentioned that we don't condemn the acts of Adolf Hitler.  (We
document the widespread condemnation, but we don't deem it correct.)
No matter what I said, my father refused to accept that there was any
valid reason for Wikipedia to refrain from stating as a fact that
Hitler was evil.

This, I believe, is a fairly "mainstream" attitude.  If questioned,
most people probably wouldn't object to that type of content.  But
persons familiar with Wikipedia's mission feel differently (and
routinely revert such edits).

The idea behind a category-based image filter feature comes across as
incredibly simple.  ("You want to provide the option to block
objectionable images?  Sure, what could be the harm in that?")  To a
typical respondent, this might seem as straightforward as adding
checkboxes labeled "sex," "nudity," "violence," "gore" and
"blasphemy."  That those classifications are subjective and
non-inclusive of images that others regard as objectionable probably
isn't even a passing thought.  That volunteers would need to analyze
and tag millions of images (with thousands more uploaded every day) is
an alien concept.

To borrow David Gerard's metaphor, it's like soliciting opinions on
the introduction of "a magical flying unicorn pony that shits
rainbows" (or as a less absurd example, "free ice cream for
everyone").  Among those who needn't worry about the logistics, it
sounds highly appealing.

I find it odd that some are inclined to discount the German
Wikipedia's poll on the basis that it reflects the views of editors
(as opposed to readers as a whole).  Setting aside the general
public's ignorance of the WMF projects' core principles, let's keep in
mind that a category-based filter system would depend upon _editors_
to function.

David Levy