[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 23 11:03:14 UTC 2011

I gave you a simple example on how easy it would be to use our
categorization to implement a filter based upon those categories.

The sources on that this actually happens are not rare if we look at
china or Iran. The problem are many local providers over which you will
seldom find a report. Many third world Internet users are bound to use a
single local provider or the access depends at an organization.

You said that we have to concern the point, that Wikipedia might be
blocked entirely if we don't have such a feature.

This argument is weakend by the fact that the filter (as intended) can
just be ignored by user. This rises the doubt, that the feature would be
strong enough for "censors needs" and therefore might not be reason
against blocking Wikipedia completely.

But lets also think the other way around. Many of this "potential
censors" aren't blocking Wikipedia entirely since this would most likely
result in pressure against the decision to "take down" Wikipedia.
Blocking only selected content is the way censors prefer. It is done in
a much greater amount of countries. For example even in Taiwan or South
Korea.

If we provide the categories then this is exactly one of the things what
could be used to extend censorship without the pressure to take down
Wikipedia entirely. It is much more acceptable. An option that is not
present at the moment.

To be fair: We have no numbers on that. It is speculation and it might
go the one way or the other way. But should we take that risk?

Currently we are promoting free access to information and knowledge. If
a filter like this has a 50:50 chance to improve or worsen things, then
we might raise the question: Is it worth the effort or should we search
for better solutions?

Greetings Tobias