[Foundation-l] A Wikimedia project has forked

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 04:51:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Steven Walling
<steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
>..
> Bah. My mistake. Sorry if that sounded confused, I was just reacting to the
> idea that there are any staff dedicated solely to English Wikipedia, which
> isn't true.

replace 'solely' with 'predominately' and, afaics, it becomes true.
The WMF staff to directly assist English Wikipedia and Commons.  They
rarely do the same for other projects.

What percentage of your 9-5 job, on avg, is non - English Wikipedia+Commons?

Please look at the percentage of your edits which are on English
Wikipedia and Commons.

http://toolserver.org/~quentinv57/sulinfo/Steven_%28WMF%29

8 of 2,636 edits (0.3%) are on a content project other than ENWP, and
four of them are edits to your userpage.

33% of your edits are on English Wikipedia, and those edits are direct
community engagement and support.  I dont see you directly engaging in
any other content project.

http://toolserver.org/~quentinv57/sulinfo/Mdennis%20%28WMF%29

not much better, especially if we consider Maggie's image filter work
to be an ENWP related task.

http://toolserver.org/~quentinv57/sulinfo/Philippe_%28WMF%29

a lot worse, given the strategy work result was:
"Spend US$180 million over five years mostly on initiatives to
increase Wikipedia statistics"

http://toolserver.org/~quentinv57/sulinfo/Jalexander

afaics, most of the non-English Wikipedia edits are to support the
fundraiser, which is great work, but that is the "Wikipedia
Fundraiser" to fund the strategy created to increase Wikipedia
statistics.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Wikipedia_fundraiser_surpasses_$6million_USD_January_2009
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Seventh_Annual_Campaign_to_Support_Wikipedia_Kicks_Off
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Half_a_Million_People_Donate_to_Keep_Wikipedia_Free

Someone who does have non-English language skills and non-English
project experience, and they arnt in use:

http://toolserver.org/~quentinv57/sulinfo/Melamrawy_%28WMF%29

--
John Vandenberg