[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Thu Sep 22 21:40:20 UTC 2011

On 22 September 2011 22:28, Fae <fae at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
>> I've almost never seen complaints about specific fragments of text in
>> five years of handing OTRS mails, other than vandalism or the sort of
>> bad writing that we discourage anyway. I assume the sort of thing that
>> provokes this is taboo vocabulary - swearing, etc - but we tend to
>> keep that to a minimum in articles anyway.
>
> Beyond the vandalism problem, I have dealt with complaints on OTRS
> relating to weight, such as emphasis on stories about paedophiles on
> school articles. However it is hard to imagine how a filter would deal
> with this and I suspect the majority of our community would not want
> to start hiding paragraphs that include difficult words such as
> "paedophile", particularly when they are likely to be accurate and
> verifiable even for articles likely to be accessed by young readers.

Yeah. Weighting and appropriate inclusion and so on are basically
editorial issues, and any sort of filtering wouldn't help (though
sometimes I wonder if some people would secretly like an "in popular
culture" heading filter...). Keyword-matching based filtering is also
something that's very easy for a reader to do on their side, so there
wouldn't be much reason for *us* to do anything like that even were we
being pestered for it.

While we're on a tangent, though, it's interesting to imagine what
reaction we'd get were there a filter which screened out articles
under a minimum quality threshold! Opt-in to see articles with more
than two cleanup tags, etc. :-)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk