[Foundation-l] A possible solution for the image filter

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Thu Sep 22 11:44:09 UTC 2011

* WereSpielChequers wrote:
>For obvious reasons we don't want a system that creates a publicly available
>set of filters that net nannies of various descriptions could use to stop
>other people from seeing things that they deemed inappropriate.

This cannot be prevented. You just need a bot that emulates a reader who
has the desired filter settings enabled and then load all the images or
articles or whatever and check what is blocked and then you have a list.

>   1. Hide all images and just show caption and description. (recommended
>   for users with slow internet connections)

(I note that it's trivial to blur images on the client side and reveal
them on hover or tapping or whatever input method would be appropriate.)

>   3. Show all images except ones that I or another editor have decided not
>   to see again

This will not work unless you introduce some process to block editors
who put too much on their filter list for some definition of "too much".