[Foundation-l] A possible solution for the image filter

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 11:39:24 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:19 PM, WereSpielChequers <
werespielchequers at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of my objections that I hope some others share is that an IP based
> system inevitably means one person deciding what others may see - which to
> my mind is the point where an image filter becomes a censor.

The system is still supposed to be such that anyone can switch a filter off
at any time, so I don't see how anyone 'decides what others may see'. Still,
an IP-based system does not sound like a good idea, because some IPs may be
shared by several people accessing Wikimedia at the same time, causing
strange cases of filters being switched on or off without the person
themselves realizing why. However, this does not mean a priori that we have
to restrict it to logged-in users. We could use cookies instead.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com