[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 21 17:20:40 UTC 2011

Am 21.09.2011 19:10, schrieb Thomas Dalton:
> On 21 September 2011 14:06, Milos Rancic<millosh at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> You didn't understand me well. It's not about fork(s), it's about
>> wrappers, shells around the existing projects.
>>
>> * en.safe.wikipedia.org/wiki/<whatever>  would point to
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/<whatever>
>> * When you click on "edit" from en.safe, you would get the same text
>> as on en.wp.
>> * When you click on "save" from en.safe, you would save the text on
>> en.wp, as well.
>> * The only difference is that images in wikitext won't be shown like
>> [[File:<something sensible>.jpg]], but as
>> [[File:fd37dae713526ee2da82f5a6cf6431de.jpg]].
>> * safe.wikimedia.org won't be Commons fork, but area for image
>> categorization to those who want to work on it. It is not the job of
>> Commons community to work on personal wishes of American
>> right-wingers.
>>
>> (Note: "safe" is not good option for name, as it has four characters
>> and it could be used for language editions of Wikipedia; maybe
>> safe.en.wikipedia.org could be better option.)
> What is the advantage of that compared with the feature as it was
> originally proposed? All you've done is made the URL more complicated.
> You'll still need to use user preferences to determine which images
> are getting hidden, so why can't you just have an "on/off" user
> preference as well rather than determining whether the filter should
> be on or off based on the URL?
I would encourage to extend this filter. Add the additional option to
hide all text, since the words might be offensive.

I still can't the a rational difference between images included in
articles by the will of the community and text passages included by the
will of the community. But hiding selected text seems to be a totally
different issue inside the WMF argumentation (it is called censorship).
Truthfully, i see not different approach to include images and text
passages. Both are added, discussed, removed, re-added the same way as
text is. Now i heard some say that text is written by multiple authors
and images are only created by one. Then i must wonder that we are able
to decide to include one source and it's arguments written by one
author, while it seams to be a problem to include the image of one
photographer/artist. There really is no difference in overall progress.