[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 09:10:47 UTC 2011

Forking and creating "safe" versions of all our wikis has the same
disadvantage of any other fork, the wisdom of crowds is dissipated if the
crowd is ever further divided. In that sense this would be as much a mistake
as it was to spin Outreach, Strategy and Ten off as separate wikis rather
than projects on meta. Better to encompass both "safe" and existing wikis
within the same wiki by making the image filter an opt in user choice, that
way you achieve all the advantages of "safe" and unsafe wikis without any of
the overheads. I think you'll find that was always the intention, I don't
recall anyone arguing for it to be compulsory for everyone to opt in to the
filter and pick at least one thing they object to.

Commons is a different matter, and I can understand the concern there that
this might lead to arguments as to the categorisation of particular
articles. Personally I think that it would be progress to replace arguments
as to whether an image is within scope with arguments about the category.
But this does depend on the way in which the filter is implemented; If we
implement a filter which offers 8-15 broad choices to those who opt in to
it, then  those filters probably don't currently exist on Commons, so by
implication we as a community are vetting all of commons to see what fits
into those filters. Such a system also conflicts with other things we are
doing, in particular the GLAM collaborations and the large releases of
images that we are getting from various institutions. But if we go down the
more flexible personal image filter route then there is far less reason to
fork Commons as it makes no difference on Commons whether an image is
blocked by one reader on their personal preferences or by one million. There
would still be the issue that not everything is categorised, but if we
release this in beta test and don't over promise its functionality that
should not be a problem - we just need to make clear that it is currently x%
efficient and will improve as people identify stuff they don't want to see
again, and categories where they want to first check the caption or alt text
in order to decide whether to view them.

WereSpielChequers