[Foundation-l] 86% of german users disagree with the introduction of the personal image filter

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 11:56:50 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Tobias Oelgarte <
tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 18.09.2011 09:46, schrieb Andre Engels:
> > On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 3:49 AM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen<
> cimonavaro at gmail.com
> >> wrote:
> >
> >> Wikimedia *used* to hold the position that we wouldn't aid China to
> block
> >> images of the Tianamen Massacre, and went to great lengths to assure
> >> that chinese users of Wikipedia could evade blocks to viewing. I am not
> >> sure you are on a right track with regards to our traditions and values
> >> here.
> >>
> > There's a big difference between the two in that the Chinese case was
> about
> > people wanting to decide what _others_ could see, the filter is about
> people
> > wanting to decide what _they themselves_ would see.
> >
> And who decides which image belongs to which category. The one that will
> use the filter or the one that tags the image?

On itself the one who tags the image, but we happen to have a system for
that in Wikimedia. It is called discussion and trying to reach consent. Who
decides whether a page is in a category? Who decides whether a page has an
image? Who decides whether something is decribed on a page? All the same.

> Additionally: Is the reader able to choose if China would use the tags
> to exclude content before it can the reader? Wouldn't we be responsible
> it, if the feature is misused this way, since we know how easy it can be
> misused?

I don't think it's that easy, and if it were, the best thing would be to
make it harder to misuse rather than to throw away the child with the
bathwater.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com