[Foundation-l] 86% of german users disagree with the introduction of the personal image filter

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 18 09:45:11 UTC 2011

Am 18.09.2011 09:46, schrieb Andre Engels:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 3:49 AM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen<cimonavaro at gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> Wikimedia *used* to hold the position that we wouldn't aid China to block
>> images of the Tianamen Massacre, and went to great lengths to assure
>> that chinese users of Wikipedia could evade blocks to viewing. I am not
>> sure you are on a right track with regards to our traditions and values
>> here.
>>
> There's a big difference between the two in that the Chinese case was about
> people wanting to decide what _others_ could see, the filter is about people
> wanting to decide what _they themselves_ would see.

And who decides which image belongs to which category. The one that will
use the filter or the one that tags the image?

Additionally: Is the reader able to choose if China would use the tags
to exclude content before it can the reader? Wouldn't we be responsible
it, if the feature is misused this way, since we know how easy it can be
misused?