[Foundation-l] 86% of german users disagree with the introduction of the personal image filter

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 18 00:59:35 UTC 2011

Am 18.09.2011 02:45, schrieb Stephen Bain:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 4:16 AM, David Levy<lifeisunfair at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Tobias Oelgarte described one key problem.  Another lies in the
>> labeling of some things and not others.  Unless we were to create and
>> apply a label for literally everything that someone finds
>> objectionable, we'd be taking the non-neutral position that only
>> certain objections (the ones for which filters exist) are reasonable.
> NPOV involves determining whether viewpoints are widely held, are held
> by substantial or significant minorities, or are held by an extremely
> small or vastly limited minority and therefore not suitable to be
> covered in articles. This is an editorial decision-making process that
> all editors perform all the time. Determining which filters to work on
> is entirely analogous to this process, which is inherently neutral.

You must be kidding me to describe that as "inherently neutral". You
miss the point that articles are build upon reputable sources. Therefore
the sources are the ones that state the different point of views. We
quote that points and gather them. We only exclude viewpoints which did
not pass an editorial process already.

Categorizing the images is not the same as gathering viewpoints from
sources. It is the viewpoint of the contributer.

Given your argumentation we would only need to write about one opinion.
Our opinion.