[Foundation-l] A Wikimedia project has forked

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 06:39:00 UTC 2011

Hello Andrew,

These are very fine ideas indeed.  I have always found the 'breaking
news' stories on Wikinews to be among its least interesting content,
for all of the reasons you note.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Andrew Lih <andrew.lih at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, reading this thread with much interest. Lots of ideas on this...

> Immediately, I saw how Wikinews could step up to this challenge. Oral
> Citations is fundamentally an act of journalism ... in essence, if People
> are Knowledge, create referenceable works and stories from those people.

<snip more interesting observations>

> And, in Wikipedia's crowdsourced way, potentially a re-oriented,
> mobilized Wikinews could produce in one week what National Geographic
> normally produces in one year. This could be a multimedia endeavor
> that could kick up the Wikimedia efforts in audio and video that seem
> to have stalled lately.

> WMF's mission is about giving free access to "the sum of all human knowledge."
>
> Wikipedia is about condensing and curating knowledge.
>
> Wikinews can be the force to go explore and acquire it.

My hat is off to you.  I went and put one on just to reread this email.

This is an inspiring and powerful idea for what Wikinews can be, and I
hope we realize it -- and continue to capture oral history, for
citation and otherwise.

Sam.