[Foundation-l] A Wikimedia project has forked

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 01:15:51 UTC 2011

On 12 September 2011 23:45, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now: what do we need to do to make Wikinews better and more useful?
> What are the costs and technical or other work involved?

Very little. Mostly wikinews is misstargeted. Yet another website
rewriting AP reports is never going to draw crowds. Wikinews needed
original research and never really had very much of it. It is also
operating in an extremely crowded market where as wikipedia had the
field pretty much to itself when it started.

>  MZM, you are
> confused in this thread - Wikimedia doesn't exist to serve EN:WP, or
> to serve its most popular *current* project, it exists to support the
> global dissemination of all sorts of knowledge, and collaboration to
> create that knowledge.

The reality is however that it's always en.pedia that is on the
receiving end of whatever the foundation wants to do at any given
time.

--
geni