[Foundation-l] Rename proposal of Kurdish wikipedia

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 23:55:38 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 7:45 PM, M. Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me add to this that some of the same people compared my actions, in
> supporting a technical move to change the ISO code of a Wikipedia, to those
> of a group of Turkish soldiers who attempted to murder Kurdish women and
> children. This game of nationalism and accusations is nothing new on
> Wikipedia. I have been called a Russian, a Soviet, a Jew, a Kurdish
> nationalist and many other things.
>
> I was even told once that I was an official enemy of the Romanian people and
> that my name and face had been stored in a secret Romanian government
> database of enemies of the Romanian nation and that I would be targeted for
> elimination. So please, let's keep nationality out of this. I am not Turkish
> but I am a linguist and a geek and this move makes linguistic and technical
> sense. I am more a supporter of the aspirations of peoples to be
> independent, but I'd rather not take sides in every single geopolitical
> conflict because this does not need to be tied to that. It is a simple
> technical and linguistic issue with two options for a solution that should
> be chosen based on common sense, not nationalist sentiments or loyalties,
> and I have chosen my side without those unnecessary influences.

Mark, your objections would make sense if I had only said "Oh by the
way, he's Turkish." I didn't. As a matter of fact, White Cat has an
extensive history of being subject to dispute resolution, editing
restrictions, blocks etc. for disruptive editing with a Turkish
nationalist point of view. While I do understand that you may
disagree, I personally think that strongly held biases in the matter
at hand are relevant to the decision he asks the community to make.

Nathan