[Foundation-l] Rename proposal of Kurdish wikipedia

M. Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 23:45:11 UTC 2011

Let me add to this that some of the same people compared my actions, in
supporting a technical move to change the ISO code of a Wikipedia, to those
of a group of Turkish soldiers who attempted to murder Kurdish women and
children. This game of nationalism and accusations is nothing new on
Wikipedia. I have been called a Russian, a Soviet, a Jew, a Kurdish
nationalist and many other things.

I was even told once that I was an official enemy of the Romanian people and
that my name and face had been stored in a secret Romanian government
database of enemies of the Romanian nation and that I would be targeted for
elimination. So please, let's keep nationality out of this. I am not Turkish
but I am a linguist and a geek and this move makes linguistic and technical
sense. I am more a supporter of the aspirations of peoples to be
independent, but I'd rather not take sides in every single geopolitical
conflict because this does not need to be tied to that. It is a simple
technical and linguistic issue with two options for a solution that should
be chosen based on common sense, not nationalist sentiments or loyalties,
and I have chosen my side without those unnecessary influences.