[Foundation-l] 86% of german users disagree with the introduction of the personal image filter

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 16 22:55:17 UTC 2011

Am 16.09.2011 22:53, schrieb Stephen Bain:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Andre Engels<andreengels at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I'd say, drop the idea that the filter is supposed to be perfect. A filter
>> that is little-used can get a rough content first time around, preferably
>> specified by the person asking for the filter, then people using the filter
>> can suggest adding or removing images. Volunteers can go and work on the
>> filters if they want, but if they don't, the filter will just be changed by
>> such suggestions.
> Indeed. I think some of the problems some people are predicting have
> been drastically exaggerated.
>
> As long as the option to hide all images is also implemented, we can
> quite simply add a disclaimer when anyone goes to turn on a filter
> indicating that if complete exclusion is particularly important to
> them, they should choose the option to hide everything by default.

Would we do that for text as well? Where is the fundamental difference
between text and images? Both can be objectionable or offending to some
readers/viewers. Is there a real difference?

Wouldn't be a simple button to hide all images be enough to reach our
goal, without the need to introduce categories?