[Foundation-l] Rename proposal of Kurdish wikipedia

とある白い猫 to.aru.shiroi.neko at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 18:14:09 UTC 2011

  While opposition comments of the local community may be full of irrelevant
political and controversial references, the arguments in support of the
rename aren't anything of the sort. It may be difficult to follow the meta
page as there is so much irrelevant posts by the ku.wiki community and that
is drowning arguments in support of the move. It is a lame attempt
to filibuster IMHO. LangCom shouldn't give in to filibuster attempts. I
would like to point out that it is most definitely a political decision to
leave everything as is. LangCom unintentionally created this problem by
allowing the creation of Zazaki and Sorani wikipedias. By not changing it
the language committee and/or the foundation is essentially declaring
Kurmanji as the default Kurdish. In that sense, renaming it is the only
politically correct decision.

  Of course politics is irrelevant when it comes to LangCom's
operation. Linguistically it makes no sense to leave ku.wiki on its
macrolanguage code when the content is just one dialect (regardless of the
claims of the local community). Why did LangCom allow the creation of Zazaki
and Sorani wikipedias? Because these dialects are distinct enough from
Kurmanji dialect that they are seperate language editions of wikipedia. In
terms of linguistic and technical reasons, the local community so far
provided nothing tangible for LangCom's consideration. The opposition by
ku.wiki community is entirely political without any linguistic or  technical
reason.

  While LangCom lacks procedures for rename requests, this shouldn't be an
excuse to ignore rename requests. Also, no one expects the rename to
happen tomorrow, the only expectation is that if approved the request is
added to the backlog.

  -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)