[Foundation-l] 86% of german users disagree with the introduction of the personal image filter

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 16 10:15:56 UTC 2011

Am 16.09.2011 11:59, schrieb Peter Gervai:

> I am not German. I am not active on DEWP. I voted for the feature, and
> I believe it's good to have it. You try to teach a lesson to me about
> your own troubles, but I really cannot help it.
>
> The only thing I can offer my views are the global poll about the
> feature, and yes, it wasn't a strong concensus. But even it it were I
> do not think we should change the otherwise very well working method
> of WMF *not* messing with local projects apart from the very basic
> principles like the five pillars. This feature isn't *that* important
> - this is my opinion, please save me from asking a citation.
You could never vote for the feature. The referendum did not ask the
question if you want it or don't want it. It only if you see this
feature as important. (important because you want it, or important
because you don't want it?)

I see no consensus in the referendum. The opinions are widely spread and
divided. Additionally it wasn't the question if something else would be
more important. Asking if something is important is very different
matter as if to ask if something is more important as something else.
Please remember that, before coming to conclusions.
>> If you're so sure there's strong consensus in favour of it, I suggest
>> we run a series of polls, similar to the de:wp poll, which I'm sure
>> will show that lots of people want the feature.
> Ironically this was what I was talking about, and what you were rejecting.
>
> All I say is that if a local project vote not to use a feature then
> they shouldn't have to. If you disagree with that one you can simply
> say it, but do not try (and fail) to describe what I want to convince
> people about, please.
>
> <g>
Questioning other projects, if they want that filter or not, would be
good thing to do. The referendum did not ask this question at all.
Additionally it would be time to release per project voting data.

86% of the German contributers opposed the feature. Does the same
pattern apply to the global poll, or was it just the difference in
question? We don't know as long per project data isn't released. I
repeatedly asked for this data for more then 2 weeks. So far, no
additional data was released. It somehow starts to piss me off.

Tobias