[Foundation-l] 86% of german users disagree with the introduction of the personal image filter

Peter Gervai grinapo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 09:59:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:31, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Citation needed.
>
>> Well I am the universally official source for my own beliefs.
>
> I mean the claim that "we" have voted for developing the feature,
> obviously.

Please read what I wrote, you have quoted it. If I wanted to write "we
have voted as" then I would have written just that. I didn't.

> If you have no evidence for this claim, say so.

Well I do not have the original poll handy but as far as I remember it
it was about what we think would be good to have, what to would like
to see implemented. I do not remember any question about making it
compulsory. Do you?

> I would also suggest, more generally, that a strategy of asserting
> that consensus was reached wanting the feature, when this is strongly
> not the case, is unlikely to convince people - particularly when the
> discussion is about strong evidence of consensus *against*.

I am not sure what is the point debating this with _me_. (Apart from
my person I mean.)
I am not German. I am not active on DEWP. I voted for the feature, and
I believe it's good to have it. You try to teach a lesson to me about
your own troubles, but I really cannot help it.

The only thing I can offer my views are the global poll about the
feature, and yes, it wasn't a strong concensus. But even it it were I
do not think we should change the otherwise very well working method
of WMF *not* messing with local projects apart from the very basic
principles like the five pillars. This feature isn't *that* important
- this is my opinion, please save me from asking a citation.

> If you're so sure there's strong consensus in favour of it, I suggest
> we run a series of polls, similar to the de:wp poll, which I'm sure
> will show that lots of people want the feature.

Ironically this was what I was talking about, and what you were rejecting.

All I say is that if a local project vote not to use a feature then
they shouldn't have to. If you disagree with that one you can simply
say it, but do not try (and fail) to describe what I want to convince
people about, please.

<g>