[Foundation-l] On curiosity, cats and scapegoats

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 14 17:56:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:54:07PM +1000, Andrew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Kim Bruning <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > The end game for this strategy of giving every (sub-) culture their own
> > subset of the images and/or text (when every medium agrees all at once),
> > and where everyone lives past each other is actually well known and well
> > studied:
> > ? ? ? ?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillarization
> >
> > Due to my knowing the historical context, I would actually prefer that
> > people were confronted by cultural differences and have a healthy
> > dialogue about them, to prevent or mitigate pillarization.
>
> I think you're taking the use of an image filter to a bizarre
> absolute. There *are* shades of grey here. My understanding of the
> proposal is that it people will voluntarily have certain images that
> have the potential to cause offense hidden by default, with a
> click-to-show. When somebody starts saying that they want meaningfully
> different article content for every country or point of view, then I
> think you'd be justified in bringing this up.

Well, when I ask people why they want the feature, that's what it
comes down to. They say they want to be able to hide things that are
offensive to their own culture. (Given that it would work) This
method would allow them to do so, without imposing straight-out
censorship on their fellow (wo)man.

Why else would you need to hide things from yourself, if not because
somewhere in your past, you learned that it was "wrong" or
"uncomfortable" to look at?

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning